Thursday, July 24, 2014

SRM Stencil Vinyl Tutorial by Lorena


Prepare for fun as Lorena Cantó shares SRM Stencil vinyl tutorial with us today.    Let's let Lorena tell us about her project in her own words.  



"Hello, SRM friends! Lorena here waving hello! Today I bring you a photo tutorial for what might be my favorite SRM product: his majesty the Stencil Vinyl. Not kidding, people! Susan and John will confirm how much I drooled over it when they introduced it last January at CHA ;)"

"And what perfect timing to introduce this vinyl! Because stencils were all the rage at the show. They where everywhere! Lots of different designs to suit any style. Now, enter the SRM stencil vinyl + an electronic die cutting machine in the equation. Custom stencils in any design you can dream. Yeah, it's possible! And I'm going to show you how to make them using the Silhouette Cameo/Portrait."

NOTE:  Cilck on these photos to see all the details.  Here's the step by step instructions:

"1. Open the design you want. It can be a cutting file from the Silhouette Store (type stencil on the search feature and you'll find lots of choices) or you can design your own stencil. Also, remember there are lots of freebies out there! I chose to make my own design by drawing a 5 3/4'' square and adding evenly spaced circles."



"2. Here are the cut settings I used: Blade at 9 (don't forget to turn the blade itself to 9 before cutting!), Speed at 3 and Thickness at 33. I also checked Double Cut because the SRM Stencil Vinyl is nice and thick. Before I discovered it, I used to make stencils with transparency sheets, but they were too flimsy. This material? It's a dream with such a heavy weight!"



"3a. Cut a 6x6 piece of stencil vinyl (I used my paper trimmer for this and it cut perfectly) and place it on the cutting mat, rough side down. My mat wasn't very sticky, so I secured the vinyl with some masking tape. Load the mat and send it to cut from the machine. 3b. Once the cutting is done, this is what you get. Remove the vinyl piece from the mat. 3c. As I said above, the stencil material is very sturdy, so you'll need a craft knife to remove the pieces. Just make a slit following the already die cut lines and pull softly. The material will pop cleanly. 3d. Here's the end result! The light that was coming from the window makes it look kind of wavy, but it lays perfectly flat. Promise.  By the way, the SRM Stencil Sheets are adhesive backed. Another nice feature."



"And of course, I had to make something immediately with my brand new stencil! First I made a card blending Distress Inks over the stencil. The stamped sentiment and stars are from Waffle Flower Crafts. I didn't add much more to let that cool background shine!"


"I also made a tag. Again, I blended Distress Inks but this time I also stamped a starry background in gold Delicata ink before removing the stencil. The sentiment word was die cut with the Cameo."


"Phew! It was a long post, right? But before leaving, did you know that the SRM Stencil Material comes in a 12 x 24 inches sheet? Imagine how many different stencils you can make!

Thanks so much for stopping by the SRM blog! See you soon :)"

4 comments:

jessica said...

Such a GREAT idea and gorgeous projects!! Thanks for sharing!

Diane Jaquay said...

I love polka dots and these are fabulous!!

Shantaie said...

such a great tutorial! and your cards are fabulous!

Annette Allen said...

awesome tutorial... totally love